Possession Certificate is a document which a property seller gives to a buyer stating the possession date of the property. This certificate is being issued by concerned Tahsildar in rural and RDO in urban areas. Possession is mandatory to include the property in the revenue records. Possession certificate is also required to secure a loan.
Uses of Possession Certificate
This certificate can be used for any of the following purposes:
- To obtain subsidy provided by the Government.
- To apply for a housing loan.
Possession Certificate processing time
Possession certificate will be issued within 7 days from the date of applying.
Fee for Possession Certificate
Akshaya Centre fee
The applicable fee for obtaining the certificate through Akshaya Centre is given below:
- Fee for SC/ST family : Rs. 12
- Fee for BPL family: Rs. 20
- Fee for all other families: Rs. 28
Online e-district fee
Fee for applying possession certificate online through the e-District portal is Rs.15.
The following documents are necessary to obtain a possession certificate:
- Proof of ownership of property
- Encumbrance certificate
- Identity proof – Aadhaar Card
- Details of Land Tax
- Voters ID
How to apply through Akshaya Centre
- Go to Akshaya Service Centre nearby.
- The applicant has to put in an application request for possession certificate online with the help of Akshaya Centre service person.
- Submit all required documents to the service person to upload online. Once the application, along with all required documents, has been submitted, it will be forwarded to the backend department application.
- The applicant will get an SMS to the registered mobile number. They can find the application number in this SMS. Keep it safe for future purpose.
- Concerned department (Tahsildar) will process the possession certificate request, and after successful verification, the authorized officer will issue the possession certificate by digitally signing it.
- If the applicant gets an SMS regarding application approved message, the certificate is ready to be downloaded.
- Again visit Akshaya centre, with the help of the service centre person; download the certificate by providing the application number.
- Get a printed copy of the digitally signed possession certificate. It can be used for applying for home loans.
How to apply through e-District Portal
- Visit the main page of the e-District portal of Government of Kerala.
- To avail e-District certificate services, the applicant needs to register in this web portal.
Register in e-District Portal
- To register in the e-District portal, click on the ‘Portal user registration’ option from the main page. The page will redirect to next page.
- The applicant needs to fill personal details and select the login name and password.
- Select the password recovery question and provide an answer for the selected question.
- Click on validate button and further to register button.
- Now the applicant can avail online certificate services by login to the e-district portal using the username and password.
One Time Registration
- After login to the portal, do a onetime registration to apply for possession certificate.
- Click on the one-time registration button. Fill all mandatory details and click on the duplicate button.
Note: One-time registration process is to find out whether the applicant has already registered through any Akshaya Centers, i.e. duplicate check.
- After the successful duplicate check, the submit button will be enabled. The applicant can click on the submit button to register.
- Click on the applicant registration link, in the new page select the duplicate link, the system will automatically check the duplicate application if any.
- After verification, click on Submit and proceed to apply.
- Enter all details for the certificate such as e-District registration number, name, certificate type and purposes.
- To save details, click on the save button. The applicant will be redirected to the new page for uploading documents.
- Upload all the required documents in PDF format with 100KB.
- After uploading all required documents make payment.
Note: Before making payment, check all entered data.
Make Payment and Generate Receipt
The applicant can see the fee for the certificate; it will appear on the screen.
The applicant can pay the fee by any of the following methods:
- Debit card payment
- Credit Card Payment
- Net banking
- Cash-card prepaid
After successful payment of fee, the applicant can print the receipt and the certificate application.
Status of possession application will be displayed on the transaction history tab in the e-District portal. Also, the applicant will get SMS regarding the status of the application.
After receiving the ‘Your Possession Certificate has been issued’ SMS on the registered mobile number, again login into the e-District portal. Download and take a print out of the digitally signed certificate.